Saturday

A Man and His Love for the Steadicam

As some of you might know we do a lot of sweeping amazing shots that pull in and out and really move the medium of video into the realm of cinematic. Well those shots are accomplished by the use of a stedicam.

Which brings me to closet space. Now this is a rather odd topic since what on earth would a stedicam have to do with my closet space? Nothing really, except I have 5 boxes that have stedicams in them that take up all my closet space- that's what!

Now I know some of my girlfriends complain about closet space and that their guys stuff is taking up too much room- one complaint was my friend's husband seemed to have stored his entire bachelor pad in boxes shoved in the closet. He says you never know when you might need a beer hat again. I think there's a word for that- does public storage ring any bells or maybe even the goodwill?

The epidemic of stedicams really came about when we found out the company that makes them was going out of business. Hence the extra purchase of 5 of them. He already owned 2- and was worried he might never get another chance to have one with the company on the rocks. He even keeps one off sight in case something drastic happened to the equipment. His desire for it is insatiable!

The thing is good solid metal so it wouldn't ever really break or die off and you could probably get someone to reproduce it after seening what one looks like, if you needed another one. But David was scared that because the company was going out of business he might never have another chance to obtain one.

So our unopened stedicams sit waiting patiently in my closet. They sit there waiting for the day that will never come- since the original one hasn't nor probably ever will break. I could be assuming things, but after 5 years of using the it, it's still going strong.

Oh well, does anyone know the number of a contractor who can knock out a wall for me, so I can make a bigger closet?

No comments:

Post a Comment