Friday

When Your Favorite Man Chips Your Favorite Bowl

This is a personal blog, in case you hadn't guessed by the subject title. David and I live in a house that was built in the 1930's. We have always liked retro things. I am in love with its alcove ceilings, art deco bathroom and the back deck that looks onto my yard of orange trees and bougainvilleas that the squirrels and raccoons frequently visit. This is home. This home however, is a little on the elder side and as such it doesn't have a dishwasher. Since it's just David and I for now we haven’t had the need to update it yet. I see washing dishes as a time to chit chat with David and just chill out. It's no problem to do a little washing in the sink. I am the washer and he is the dryer. This way we get it done twice as fast and can hang out together. Even though we already work with each other, sometimes you need your "own time" as you probably know. Well tonight I had to finish up a love story and David had finished his work early. I asked him if he would mind washing the few dishes we had in the sink. He said that it would be fine and left me to the editing bay, while he went to wash the dishes. About 15 minutes later he comes into my editing room. I ask him what's up. He says he chipped one of my bowls. I said “Which one?” secretly hoping it wasn't my starfish/seashell decor one that I really like. He said "Oh that one with the seashells on it." I know it's just a bowl and he's my guy- but I was a little miffed. After all, I had bought this bowl on Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts. This bowl isn't just a bowl. This bowl reminds me of the idyllic days of summer, the Island Home ferry coming into port at Vineyard Haven and the lighthouse signaling the end of the day with its beam so bright. This was THEE bowl. But, I love David more so, I kindly replied "You do know what this bowl means to me don't you?" and he replied with his head hung low "Yes, I do." I then said "Well, I guess you'll have to take me back to Martha's Vineyard to get me another one." and smiled coyly. He said "Sure thing." After all it is just a bowl.





No comments:

Post a Comment